100 miles of gloriously chunky gravel!
Expect this to be one of the most challenging gravel courses featuring picturesque, rarely maintained, canopy-covered gravel roads with loose, rocky gravel, a few pavement sections and a few water crossings and bridges. If you like to ride in the dirt, venture off into stunning landscapes and share an experience with fellow cyclists, Big Sugar Gravel is a race reserved for you.
Big Sugar is an ultra-endurance bicycling challenge, held on the gravel roads through the Northwest region of Arkansas and Southeast region of Missouri. The event will start in downtown Bentonville, Arkansas.
This 100 (+) mile route will leave downtown Bentonville under police escort, traveling west and then north into Southern Missouri. The route will feature ONE official checkpoint location where Riders will be allowed to meet their support crews.
Big Sugar will utilize a single-loop format. Although some blacktop roads will be necessary from time to time, the majority of the course will be on gravel and dirt roads. Some of these roads receive little to no maintenance throughout the year and can be quite primitive in nature. There are also many blind corners while traversing the course. All riders are required to stay right of center on all roads, even if a centerline is not present. In the event of inclement weather, gravel and dirt roads can become mud roads. Riders are therefore encouraged to prepare their bikes, their bodies, and their minds to be ready for any and all possible conditions.The course will not be marked.
Friday, October 22 – Packet Pickup
- 2:00PM-7:00PM at the Outerbike Demo Festival in the open lot east of 8th st market
Saturday, October 23 – Race Day
- Start: Mile 0 – The Momentary Arts Center
- Start time: 7:00 am
- 8 mile neutral leadout to the city limits
- Checkpoint One: Mile 37 – Pineville, Missouri
- Cutoff time: 10:45 am
- Pineville, MO is the only checkpoint that support crews are allowed to be at.
- Checkpoint Two: Mile 73.6 – Whistling Springs Brewery, Missouri
- Cutoff time: 2:30 pm
- Due to limited space, ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT CREWS ALLOWED AT THIS LOCATION. This checkpoint will be supported by the event organization.
- Finish: Mile 103.8 – Compton Gardens and Arboretum
- Cutoff time: 6:00 pm
- Finish Festival in Arboretum parking lot
- 1.1 miles from Momentary, 1.2 from Outerbike
Diamond in the Bluffs
507 SE E St, Bentonville, AR
Start in the idyllic, beautiful town of Bentonville featuring a world-class art scene, thriving bike culture, aviation adventures and a vibrant city square right in the heart of the Ozarks.