100 miles of gloriously chunky gravel!
Expect this to be one of the most challenging gravel courses featuring picturesque, rarely maintained, canopy-covered gravel roads with loose, rocky gravel, a few pavement sections and a few water crossings and bridges. If you like to ride in the dirt, venture off into stunning landscapes and share an experience with fellow cyclists, Big Sugar Gravel is a race reserved for you.
2021 schedule Below! 2022 schedule subject to change.
Outerbike Demo Festival – Gravel Lot East of 8th St Market
- 9:00am – 5:00pm: Outerbike Expo open
- 9:30am: Shake-Out Ride hosted by HED & Chamois Butt’r
- 2:00pm – 7:00pm: Big Sugar packet pickup
- 4:00pm – 7:00pm: Bike Rack Brewing happy hour
Parking – Wal-Mart HQ lot on SW 8th St West of Bentonville Fire Station 1
- DO NOT PARK SOUTH OF FIRE STATION
- 5:00am – 7:00am Sunday: Parking lot open to participants
Start Line – The Momentary Arts Center at SE 6th & SE E St
- 6:30am: Big Sugar lineup
- 7:00am: Big Sugar 100 mile race start
- 7:30am: Lil Sugar lineup
- 8:00am: Lil Sugar 50 mile race start
Pineville, MO Checkpoint (Big Sugar mile 37)
- 8:00am: CP open to support crews
- 10:45am: Cutoff Time for CP entry
- 11:00am: Cutoff Time for CP exit
Whistling Springs Brewery Checkpoint (Big/Lil Sugar mile 73.6/23.6)
- 2:30pm: Cutoff Time for CP entry
- 2:45pm: Cutoff Time for CP exit
Finish Fest – Compton Gardens & Arboretum at 203 NE 3rd St
- 10:00am – 7:00pm: Finish Fest open
- 1:00pm: Lil Sugar Podium Presentation
- 3:30pm: Big Sugar Podium Presentation
- 6:00pm: Cutoff Time for official finish
2022 registration Is closed
2021 Course! 2022 course subject to change.
Big Sugar is an ultra-endurance bicycling challenge, held on the gravel roads through the Northwest region of Arkansas and Southeast region of Missouri. The event will start in downtown Bentonville, Arkansas.
This 100 (+) mile route will leave downtown Bentonville under police escort, traveling west and then north into Southern Missouri. The route will feature ONE official checkpoint location where Riders will be allowed to meet their support crews.
Big Sugar will utilize a single-loop format. Although some blacktop roads will be necessary from time to time, the majority of the course will be on gravel and dirt roads. Some of these roads receive little to no maintenance throughout the year and can be quite primitive in nature. There are also many blind corners while traversing the course. All riders are required to stay right of center on all roads, even if a centerline is not present. In the event of inclement weather, gravel and dirt roads can become mud roads. Riders are therefore encouraged to prepare their bikes, their bodies, and their minds to be ready for any and all possible conditions.The course will not be marked.
- The preferred method for course navigation is the use of a GPS device such as a Garmin Edge
- Cell service is spotty on course, so phone navigation does not always work
- Cue sheets are available for navigation, but MUST BE PRINTED BY THE RIDER themselves
2021 Rider Guide! 2022 Guide subject to change.
Dust off your gravel bike and get ready for a weekend in the Bluffs! This guide will give you all the information you need to be successful in tackling the first ever Big Sugar weekend.
Download or print out the PDF and prepare yourself for an epic weekend of bikes, brews, and the sweetest gravel you’ve ever tasted.
Awards will be hosted Saturday at at 203 NE 3rd St. Lil Sugar Awards will be presented at 1:00pm and Big Sugar Awards will be presented at 3:30 pm. Awards will be 3 deep in the following categories:
Big Sugar awards:
There are two official checkpoint locations for Big Sugar.
1) Pineville, MO (mile 37)
– Cutoff arrival time 10:45AM, departure time 11:00AM.
2) Whistling Springs Brewery (mile 73)
– Cutoff arrival time 2:30PM, departure 3:00PM
The following amenities will be available at the neutral aid stations at each checkpoint:
-Water, Untapped maple syrup, waffles, and mapleade drink mix & pickles, bananas, potato chips, cookies (snacky stuff)
Support Crews can help their riders out at the Pineville Checkpoint!
– See the Pineville parking map for color coded parking areas (Pay attention to the location of the timing mat. Everyone has to pass over this!)
– During packet pickup, if you are certain you’ll be using a support vehicle, pick a colored hang tag to assign your crew to one of these areas.
– Pineville will have street signs pointing to the different parking areas. There will also be volunteers on site to help you navigate. Be kind to them please!
Whistling Springs Brewery will have neutral mechanical support on site thanks to Orange Seal
– The brewery also has good food available if you want more than a snack
There are also two “oasis” locations. These are not fully stocked with snacks, but should be seen as a surprise treat and a backup option for refilling water if needed.
– Chamois Butt’r will be at ~mile 57 on the Big Sugar course
– Garmin will be at ~mile 86 / 36 on the shared return leg of the courses
Support Crews/Abandon Procedure
SUPPORT CREWS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON COURSE
1) If you wish to be picked up by your support crew, please make your way to an accessible locaton – without driving on the gravel roads of the course.
– The SAG Jeeps can help you to get to an accessible location if you are unable and will take you to the nearest checkpoint location if you do not have another pick up option
2) Shuttles are available at the checkpoints to carry riders and bikes back to Bentonville
– They will take you either to the finish festival or to the Wal-Mart HQ parking lot as desired
3) If you need to call for help, use the BIG SUGAR HOTLINE: 719-257-3938
– Again, cell service is spotty. The Jeeps all have HAM radio which has better transmission, if you need to communicate with support crews or race organization
Friday, Outerbike and Packet Pickup:
- There is parking for the Outerbike demo festival within the gravel lot the festival inhabits. It can be accessed from the east side off SE J St
- If this parking area is full, spillover parking is available at 8th St Market to the west of the festival area
- Big Sugar packet pickup will be on the SW side of Outerbike from 2pm to 7pm
- Take a look around the expo while you’re there!
Saturday, Start and Finish
- There is limited parking in the neighborhoods around The Momentary for the start of the race.
- We have permission to use the Wal-Mart HQ parking lot to the west of Bentonville Fire Station 1
- This lot is 0.8 miles from The Momentary and 1.1 miles from the finish at Compton Gardens
- Please do not park to the south of the fire station. This is reserved for Bentonville FD employees
Post-Race Food & Beer
- On each rider’s number plate, there will be three serrated tabs attached at the bottom
- One is redeemable for a free drink at Whistling Springs Brewery
- One can be turned in for a beer from Bike Rack Brewing at the finish festival
- One can be used at one of the food trucks at the finish festival and is worth UP TO $10
- If you’re buying something less than $10, no change will be given
- If you want something more expensive, you will have to pay the remainder
- The food trucks at the finish are also open to business for any support crews or spectators